Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Movie Review - Seeking a Friend For the End of the World

Movie Title
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World
Year
2012
Genre
Drama
Story
In a possible alternate future, a 70-mile-wide asteroid named "Matilda" is on a collision course with Earth. With just 21 days more before the END (of the world!), the movie explores what people will do when humanity's last days are at hand and focuses specifically on the journeys of the 2 protagonists – neighbors Dodge (Steve Carell) and Penny (Keira Knightley) who are hoping to spend their final days connecting with their respective long lost love and family members.
Acting
I wasn’t expecting to see Steve Carell in a movie that isn’t a comedy. So it made me feel a little uncomfortable seeing him in this role which was pretty melancholic to the point of depressing. With that being said, I’m not putting down his acting skills. 

From this movie, we can see that he can be equally comfortable in doing comedies as well as dramas unlike Jim Carrey, when he was doing Truman, you couldn’t really take him seriously because he had that constant smirk in his face. 

For me, Keira was kind of out of place and their “chemistry”, if you could call it that, didn’t quite work. Her role could have easily been replace by almost any other actress out there.

Overall
I wasn’t expecting this to be a drama as I had thought this to be a comedy the moment I saw that Steve Carell was in it. And the movie was trying to evoke a certain emotional connection with viewers and the pace & tone it was in were to me, a little uneven as there were segments of the movie I really wanted to press fast forward.

Sadly, for me, this is a movie that I do not foresee myself watching again any time soon.

The movie has a fabulous soundtrack. I rarely stay to watch the credits unless I know that there’s something to see either in the credits (like the Jackie Chan out-takes) or at the end of it (like the Marvel Superhero movies). However, in this case, there were nothing else in the credits except for the great song playing which I thought was not only beautiful but very appropriate for the feeling the end of the movie had evoked from the viewers.

Rating: 5.5/10

No comments: