Tuesday, October 1, 2013

My path to geekdom (aka trip down memory lane)

Although many of my friends know that I am a comic geek but not many of them know the details as to how I got started. Not even my fellow comic geeks (I'm not gonna mention names but you know who you are.)

It all started back when as a 6-year-old kid, my next-door neighbour - Nicholas Choe Chee Meng (whom I remember fondly & miss dearly), who was a couple of years older than me, showed me and shared his collection with me whenever I and a couple of other kids from the same street popped by his place for some play time.
I was fascinated by the colorful characters and their gaudy costumes. Bear in mind that this was back in the days when TVs were in B&W. So to a kid, anything with so much color was already interesting! I remember 2 of the characters that stood out so much and got stuck in my mind up until today were the Beast (a hero or villain who looked like...a beast!) & Vision (a hero or villain who had red skin and go thru' walls!).
One day, a few years later, his family was moving away and he was clearing out his comic collection. I was sad to see him go but happy at the same time because I was lucky enough to receive a whole bunch from him (although not all of them as he gave them to the other kids as well.). I don't think I remember how many comic books he gave me but I was 9 then, and to a 9-year old, that was A LOT of books! Of course it didn't matter if the books had massing issues or if they were reprints. It's the stories and the art that mattered.

Here, I'll try to include every single comic I ever received from him. Thanks to him, I'm now the comic geek that I am today (much to the chagrin of my parents for many of my formative years as they did not quite think that comic books were appropriate reading material).
 

No comments: