Saturday, January 3, 2009

Movie Review - Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon


Movie Title
Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon
Year
2008
Genre
War Drama

Story
Based on the legendary Romance of the Three Kingdoms and the unification of ancient China, this story focuses on one of the 5 Tiger Generals of the Shu Kingdom – Zhao Zilong (Andy Lau). It tells of his meteoric rise to heroic fame from obscurity, and ultimately his final defeat in Phoenix Heights at the hands of Cao Ying (Maggie Q) the fictional granddaughter of the warlord Cao Cao. (Please visit the following for the review of Red Cliff I & II. An epic interpretation of the Romance of the 3 Kingdoms: http://jmerb.blogspot.com/2009/03/movie-review-red-cliff-i-ii.html)

Acting
Credible acting from Andy Lau and the rest of the main cast. I usually gripe about the acting from Chinese movies but I am very pleased with this one.
Overall
People who know me will know that I am not usually a fan of Chinese movies because I find that most of the acting & story-telling to be below my expectations and some have too many un-resolved plot holes. However, I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I would recommend. The only thing is that because I am not really familiar with the story of the Three Kingdoms, I can’t comment on the accuracy of the story or if the way the characters behave was consistent with what is generally known.

Rating: 7.5/10

No comments: