Friday, February 28, 2020

Movie Review - Ripley's Game

Movie: Ripley's Game 
Year: 2002
Genre: Crime, Mystery
Infamous psychopath and anti-hero Tom Ripley (John Malkovich) is involved in an art forgery scheme in Berlin. After realizing that he'd been used and scammed by Reeves (Ray Winstone), a British gangster. Ripley took Reeves' art forgery money for causing him to kill his art client.3 years later, Ripley lives in a lush villa in Veneto, Northern Italy, with his beautiful musician wife Luisa (Chiara Caselli). At a neighbour's party, Ripley overhears the host, Jonathan Trevanny (Dougray Scott), a law-abiding art framer who is dying of leukemia, insulting Ripley.Reeves resurfaces and asks Ripley to eliminate a rival gangster. Taking the opportunity to repay Reeves for the Berlin snafu, Ripley recommends that an amateur - Jonathan Trevanny, be hired to do it.
Reeves offers a bewildered Trevanny the job. Knowing that he's dying of leukemia and the money could be left to his wife upon his death, Trevanny reluctantly agrees to the hit, which he assumes will be a simple 1-time-only job. Reeves exploits Travanny's desperation and blackmails him into taking on a much more complicated assassination on a train - a key Mafia member.Right before the hit, Trevanny panics & freezes up on the train, Ripley, out of pity for Trevanny, appears and dispatches the target and his 2 bodyguards.
As expected, the Mafia come to Veneto for revenge, killing Reeves. They will eventually arrive at Ripley's villa but anticipating this, Ripley sends Luisa away and carefully booby-traps his entire villa. With Trevanny's help, they eliminate the Mafia intruders. Ripley and Trevanny develops bond over the experience.
 Trevanny returns home to find 2 Mafia gangsters holding his wife, Sarah (Lena Headey) captive. Ripley spots Mafia's car outside and goes back to Trevanny's house in time to save his wife. In the process, Trevanny takes a bullet to save Ripley.

Being a psychopath, Ripley is genuinely confused by Trevanny's sacrifice.

Anything special/memorable?  
Adapted from Patricia Highsmith's 1974 novel of the same name. I didn't know this when I watched this movie. Apparently, there are 3 movies about Tom Ripley. The other 2 being:
- Talented Mr. Ripley (1999)
- Ripley Under Ground (2005)
I have to say that John Malkovich is one of my favorite actors and so, I may be biased when I say a really liked this movie as he's the protagonist. 

I ALSO have to say that I don't recall that I ever enjoyed any of Dougray Scott's movies. However, I quite like his performance here. Maybe I was biased and should re-watch some of his movies again.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a young Lena Headey (of Game Of Thrones Fame) here. 
Waste/worth the time?
I really enjoyed this movie and will watch it again at some point in the future. Perhaps after I have watched the other 2 Tom Ripley movies (if I can find them).

It may not be to everyone's tastes but I'd say give it a try if you like dark themed films with complex & unusual characters like Ripley. I mean, how often do you find yourself rooting for the bad guy - Ripley in this case. Why is he a bad guy? Well, he kills people who offend him, for money or even just because he could - hence psychopath...

I give this movie a 6.5/10!

No comments: