Monday, March 30, 2020

My Artwork

Thanks to the Lock-down caused by the biggest and most historically significant event in MY LIFE, if not in Human History of the last 100 years - the COVID-19 Virus Pandemic, I have managed to find more of my artwork in while doing some clearing of my old stuff.

This was a logo design I did for the #1 comic column of the 80's called the Comic Scene, that appeared once per fortnight in the NST (New Straits Times, on a Saturday) written by Daniel Chan. I was one of the more active contributors to the column. 

Here was an early attempt. I can see the rawness of my art style. Still nascent and have not fully developed my style (altho' many can tell I was highly influenced by John Byrne of the X-Men & Fantastic Four fame.) These 3 were the winning entries.
Here are several stages of the same piece of work that was eventually printed in the Star Paper. Sadly, I had submitted the original piece of art and I don't have it anymore.
As with ANY comic geek, we tend to create our own characters. Here is 1 of them called the Mystic.
The original piece, in pencil, had already turned yellow.
 
I recall I have a notebook (the REAL analog type, not a laptop computer) with dozens of pages of my own characters. Anyway, here is another group I created but I think I hadn't come up with a team name.
This was my Winning Entry in the BDSB (Book Distributors Sdn Bhd) Art Contest in 1985/86. It depicts Superman trying to prevent the collapse of the structure above from the tunnels beneath.
Same case as with the Star piece, I had also submitted the original piece of art and I don't have it anymore.
I was lucky I even managed to find the the letter from Bookazine (BDSB's Specialty Comics Store in KL).

Here's a couple more. Of course, Spider-Man needs no introduction, but the other one, despite having written his name, I still can't recall this guy.
Here are a couple more of the submissions for my school magazine's anniversary cover.
 Here's a random piece combining a cartoon character and a real person - Einstein, in this case.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice bro!

JM Loke said...

Thanks for visiting and for your comment. I will be posting more soon as I found a whole bunch of these old artwork of mine.

Unknown said...

Wahh, great masterpiece! Glad that you found them😀

JM Loke said...

Thanks buddy. I'm very glad I found them too. In fact, some of these pieces I'd forgotten I'd done them until now. My hands are felling the itch now.